We believe stories have the power to change the world for the better. At Story, we tell stories that make people stop, think and change.
Our account directors are Story and live our values. They are fearless, relentless, honest and united with the wider team in building an agency we are all proud to be part of.
Story’s account directors are powerhouses. Part of the management team, they have ultimate responsibility for the agency’s growth – in every way.
With more than six years in PR or full-service agency comms, they are dab hands with strategy, copy, clients, budgets, new business and more. Team motivators and pros who never stop at ‘good’ when it comes to wowing clients with incredible service and surprising prospects with new solutions.
With a diverse skill set, they grow and shape the agency, while offering high-level counsel to team members on client issues. Thought leadership and copywriting professionals, they have a nose for news and deep knowledge of current affairs, with a sharper than sharp eye for detail. As digital and creative mavens, ensuring content is maximised across all audience channels is second nature.
They are smart, proactive, entrepreneurial and inspiring leaders who are able to motivate their team and drive great results for the agency and its clients.
Our account directors are also creative thinkers and problem solvers, devising strategies and campaigns end to end, delivering incredible results across all communications channels.
As the final escalation point, account directors give sign off on high level activity. Offering counsel and strategic direction, they are knowledgeable on multiple sectors and comms techniques - old and new - and are able to manage complex projects, with seamless transitions between subject matter, channel and content type.
They have a vital role to play in identifying and securing new business and growing revenue. They are highly commercial.
Our account directors teach and empower teams, offering direction across HR, new business and client-related areas as well as writing, media relations, social media and more - but are also willing to get in and do the work. As expert delegators, problem solvers, and project managers, they are adept with budget, forecasting and workflow management.
What we are looking for
- A hunger, ambition and drive to tell stories that really matter and connect people.
- The ability to put forward well researched, thought out and accurate comms counsel to clients
- Exceptional ability to manage client accounts and the teams that work on them
- Gold standard proven client service - clients love and trust you to deliver 100%. You are their go-to
- Ability to train and support junior team members virtually and in-person, helping them to develop and reach their own potential
- Copywriting love and excellence. Sharp, journalistic and compelling style. No waffle here please
- News sense and the ability to find and tell a client story in ways that connect with the news cycle
- Someone who challenges us and our clients – in a data-backed, innovation-driven way. Our team are fearless but never reckless
- The ability to manage client workflow and accurately forecast team capacity
- Line management experience and the ability to develop, coach and motivate a team
- Six years plus in comms and PR – ideally with a recent background in agency and its management
- Strong network of national media contacts as well as the Midlands and beyond business community. Business, legal and housing media contacts are a bonus
- Commercial acumen – the ability to deliver value across the board for the agency
- New business – the nous, experience and drive to hunt down and convert the right opportunities
- Digital, social media and creative – we’re growing our services. Being able to add, drive and bring something to that in a measurable way
What we can offer
- Competitive and industry-benchmarked salary of £40 -45k (dependent on experience)
- 25 days annual leave – with an extra day for every year with Story up to 30 days
- Your birthday off work as our gift to you (additional)
- One month paid sabbatical after five years’ service
- Mentoring and training – including our very own Punk Academy and the chance to take part in Socially Mobile PR School
- Forward thinking policies designed to support and empower our team to do their best work and live their best lives
- Hybrid working - we work together for team days and at home for focus days
- The beautiful #TeamStory Clubhouse in the heart of Brum city centre - complete with wellness room, workout space, strong coffee and all the healthy greenery you could want
- Office dog - at least once a week our four legged apprentice makes a visit
- Top tech – Brand new Apple laptop, phone and access to our team Spotify (the good and the bad!)
- Social and wellbeing activities - a lot of them!
- Discretionary bonus scheme
Long term potential
Story burns on start-up spirit. We are an ambitious agency – not growth for its own sake, but as a measure of our impact. We want to tell stories that connect and matter, be somewhere that’s incredible to work and to work with. Story is independent and owner managed. Opportunities beyond this role are there for the making and the taking
What makes Story stand out?
We have four values – and they are not just words on a wall. They are how we work as a team. Fearless, relentless, united and honest. We work hard, we thrive on challenges and we say what we mean. The flip side, the team always has your back, and you’ll have theirs
Corporate punks – our belief that corporate and B2B comms doesn’t mean talking like a robot drives us. Boring is bland. With the corporate mask down, well told stories connect people with people. We’re fearless but not reckless, we’ll challenge clients, briefs and work – but only when we’ve done the homework and have the solution up our sleeve
Culture - Our team culture is so important to us - without it, our days would be boring as heck and we wouldn’t achieve half our potential. Our punks are always at the heart of everything we do. We have fully embraced flexibility in our day to day - mixing WFH with time together in our Clubhouse, as we like to call it. We work together, enjoy our time together and celebrate each other’s differences. We are also fiercely proud of the community we live and work and want to reflect that diversity in our team of storytellers.
To apply, tell us a Story. We’d love to hear why you want to be part of #TeamStory, why we need you on the team and where you think our opportunities lie. It’s two-way so we also want to know what you want from a role with us. Email - email@example.com. Please mark the subject line with the role.
Story prides itself on being an inclusive employer. We value and celebrate equality in opportunities and we welcome applications from people who reflect the diversity of our communities.
Applications close August 31st 2022