HM Land Registry is committed to becoming the world’s leading land registry for speed, simplicity and an open approach to data.
We are looking to appoint a fully qualified Accountant as the head of Financial Systems and Transactional Services.
This high-profile role in HMLR is key in ensuring that HMLR has sound financial systems on which to accurately process and record transactions and report financial performance to the business.
HMLR has recently gone live with a new integrated ERP system (Oracle Fusion) for Finance, Procurement and HR. This role provides the opportunity to embed and develop the new system, identifying further business process improvements and building the skills and capabilities of all users, within Finance and across HMLR. The role will also link into the cross-government Fusion community, sharing HMLR’s experience and learning from other government departments on the Fusion journey.
You will be leading around 15 finance staff, heading up both the Finance Systems Team and the AP/AR functions.
You will already be a fully qualified Accountant. You will have demonstrable experience of successfully working with major systems, preferably Oracle Fusion and Anaplan, and their application to meet Management Information requirements.
We are a government department created in 1862 to register land and property ownership in England and Wales. The Land Register contains more than 25 million titles showing evidence of ownership for more than 86% of the land mass of England and Wales and safeguards land and property ownership worth in excess of £4 trillion, including around £1 trillion of mortgages.
HMLR offers very competitive terms, conditions and benefits. We provide excellent opportunities for career progression, training and development. You will have access to Civil Service pension and benefits arrangements, generous leave allowances and flexible working – exactly what you would expect from a progressive employer.
We also offer:
• an employee recognition scheme;
• long-service awards;
• maternity and adoption leave of up to 26 weeks’ full pay, followed by 13 weeks’ statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid;
• paternity leave allowance of two weeks plus four days’ paid leave;
• paid time off for public service duties, for example if you are an armed forces reservist;
• paid volunteering leave;
• a social and sports club in every office;
• the opportunity to compete in national Civil Service competitions for a wide variety of sports;
• access to our employee assistance programme for counselling and support on a wide range of issues;
• an interest-free loan for season tickets and/or bicycles and safety equipment; and
• many other rewards including access to discounted healthcare, a Microsoft Home Use programme and shopping, leisure and finance discounts.
• opportunities to network and work across government;
• career progression, training and development opportunities; and
• access to training opportunities including Civil Service Learning, which offers more than 70 classroom-based courses and online packages.
For more information about the role, please see the attached job description.
Fully qualified CCAB, CIMA or equivalent Accountant
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
- Technical skills
- We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Intermediate to advanced Excel skills developed in a financial accounting or reporting context.
If you’re applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Ability, Experience and Technical skills.
To apply please complete the short application form and take the online test. If you successfully pass the test, please complete the full application form and Personal Statement. The Personal Statement section (in no more than 1200 words) should be used to provide details of how you meet the essential criteria and technical skills listed on the job description:
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills developed in a financial accounting or reporting context.
- Managing and developing large computerised financial systems and associated support services.
- Demonstrable experience of successfully working with major systems, preferably Oracle Fusion and Anaplan, and their application to meet Management Information requirements.
- Managing business change, establishing new business processes and promoting business process and system improvements.
- An understanding of the application of sound financial controls and Managing Public Monies.
- Experience in successfully leading staff to meet business requirements.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
For further information on this role, please contact
For further information on the recruitment process please contact hrresourcingTeam@landregistry.gov.uk
Online test instructions
We encourage you to complete the test before 5pm on Friday 14 June as technical support will not be available outside working hours. If you pass the test then you will have until midnight on Sunday 16 June to complete the full online application form.
Sift/interview dates and location
The sift will take place week commencing 17 June 2019
Interviews will take place week commencing 24 June 2019 and the interviews will be held at the Croydon office.
Candidates should ensure they read the attached guidance document fully before submitting an application.