The Individual Giving Manager efficiently manages the day to day running of The Old Vic’s individual giving scheme, reporting to the Head of Individual Giving and working with the Individual Giving Officer to implement and carry out a yearly strategic plan to retain and increase support across all levels of membership and wider areas of giving.
The Individual Giving Manager works within the Development Department which fundraises for The Old Vic Theatre Company and The Old Vic Theatre Trust, which is a registered charity. Its aim is to raise voluntary funds for the theatre from individuals, companies and charitable trusts and foundations.
The department currently consists of: two Co-Directors of Development, Associate Director of Trusts and Foundations, Trusts and Foundations Officer, Head of Corporate Partnerships, Corporate Partnerships Officer, Head of Events, Head of Individual Giving, Head of Philanthropy and Individual Giving Officer.
Areas of responsibility
- To assist in the development of a yearly strategic plan for individual giving at The Old Vic, to include year-on-year giving (Membership), small and mid-size donations across channels, including online, and community or challenge led fundraising.
- To assume responsibility for The Old Vic’s philanthropic individual giving Membership scheme, OV Together.
- To retain and increase support by overseeing the delivery of an excellent programme of customer care, include the delivery of a range of benefits, priority booking and events.
- Together with the Head of Individual Giving retain and increase support and generate and convert new prospects, to meet agreed annual individual giving targets of c. £1 million to contribute to the overall Development team target.
- To monitor progress against targets, ensuring fundraising costs stay within budgeted expenditure and Gift Aid restrictions.
- To work with the Head of Events to ensure a comprehensive Events strategy is delivered, in line with membership benefits, and to assist and attend events run by the Development Department to include individual events as required and corporate and sponsorship evenings as needed to support the wider team.
- To oversee and draft communications going out to individual supporters including season announcements, updates and invitations and segmenting mailing lists when necessary.
- To oversee ticket bookings and catering reservations for supporters, handing over processing to other members of the team as necessary, and to innovate time-saving new processes for automating bookings and reservations.
- To line manage the Individual Giving Officer, monitoring key performance indicators and objectives to ensure that targets are met.
- To lead on the implementation of all membership/individual philanthropy updates on the website, including the crediting of donors, and liaise with Marketing to ensure this is properly administered.
- To innovate and implement new fundraising projects, such as Tap to Donate scheme, creating supporting documents (e.g. case for support and rebrand of membership scheme).
- To oversee, with support from the Individual Giving Officer, the tracking of membership retention rates and other data analyses to inform the Individual Giving strategy and to mitigate against any downturn in renewal rates.
American Associates of The Old Vic
- To support the administration of the American Associates of The Old Vic membership and provide support to the Head of Individual Giving with the delivery of the scheme as necessary.
Database, Finance and Gift Aid
- To monitor weekly fundraising income and reporting progress to the Individuals team on a regular basis. Liaising with Finance and work to ensure management accounts reflect expected, received and forecasted income.
- To oversee the use The Old Vic’s database, Tessitura, for recording donations, memberships, prospects and events and with support from the Individual Giving Officer, making sure that records are fully up-to-date.
- To maintain and improve Tessitura functionality, training other members of the team as necessary.
- To ensure that all data complies with procedures for data integrity (e.g. Gift Aid, GDPR and PCI compliance).
- To support the Development team’s use of Tessitura and attend regular Tessitura User Group Meetings regarding issues, best practice etc.
- To set up Gift Aid for all individual memberships on Tessitura and support the processing of Gift Aid claims submitted to HMRC for all individual donations each quarter, ensuring that this income stream is maximised fully.
- To oversee the processing of monthly and annual Direct Debits and Tessitura.
Prospects and New Support
- To support the Head of Individual Giving on the maintenance of a team-wide prospect tracking system and help monitor the solicitation process.
- Together with the Head of Individual Giving and Head of Philanthropy develop new ways of giving e.g. Legacy Giving and contactless giving and take an active role in the roll-out, promotion, marketing and administration of these schemes.
- To identify new routes, channels and audiences to promote other ways of giving amongst existing Old Vic contacts, our database and new prospects.
- To support the Head of Philanthropy to develop integrated stewardship activities for legacy supporters – e.g. supporter newsletter, invitations to events, electronic and direct marketing and face to face meetings, ensuring all activities are in tandem with the overall stewardship communication programme for Individual Giving.
- To identify opportunities to further develop relationships with our existing supporters (e.g. cross-sell) and feeding this in to strategic plans for Individual Giving.
- Alongside the Head of Individual Giving and the Head of Philanthropy, implement strategies to acquire an increased number of gifts £10k+ to the theatre.
- Support the team in researching and compiling information on prospects, writing supporter/prospect biographies for events and meetings and maintaining these on the database.
- Support the team in providing benchmarking research within theatre, the arts and the wider fundraising sector.
- To keep the Development calendar up-to-date for forthcoming events and projects (OV Evolve and higher level support) and alert the team to pending dead-lines and to do’s.
- To ensure The Old Vic’s programmes, website and social media are regularly updated with Development information and liaise with Marketing as appropriate in achieving these tasks.
- To contribute proactively to Development team activities.
- To undertake training deemed necessary by the Directors of Development.
- To carry out any other duties as requested by the Directors of Development.
- To comply with The Old Vic’s Equal Opportunities, Sustainability and Health & Safety and Staff Handbook policies at all times.