Belfast Live is looking for a Live News Reporter to join their highly-successful team based in Belfast on a maternity cover contract. In this role you will be focused on breaking news on Belfast Live and driving a large online audience as part of the overall digital publishing strategy of the editor. We are looking for a candidate who understands what is involved in creating engaging and shareable content for an online news platform and how best to optimise this for SEO and social media.
This role will see the successful candidate write about a range of news stories so a flexible and hard-working mindset are vital.
We are Reach because it’s what we do.
Every day our newsbrands – national and regional, in print and online – reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK’s largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8.1 billion page views per year.
We average 35 million unique mobile visitors – that’s 84% of the entire online mobile population. Each month we attract over 39 million unique visitors, and that makes us the number one news media publisher in the UK. You will help us further increase our digital audience into 2019.
- We are looking for someone with an eye for the kind of content which drives a large digital audience and someone who thrives under the pressure of breaking news.
- The successful candidate will take responsibility for themes of content, such as geographic areas, campaigns or other areas of interest, as directed by the editor.
- You will also be active on social media, in line with company policies, to build audiences and communities and ensure that content is shared as widely as possible.
The Ideal Candidate
- You are constantly ahead of the game, alert to news before it’s widely known to ensure Belfast Live remains at the forefront of breaking news.
- You will be full of ideas and fully aware of the kind of content which drives digital audience. You will be accurate, creative and energetic and able to work to tight deadlines. You will have demonstrated this experience on a major news title.
- You know how to write strong headlines which drive audience through search and social platforms.
- The successful applicant will have strong digital, social media and video skills, a journalism qualification and the flexibility to meet the changing demands of our audience.
- Above all, you will need to thrive when news is breaking and possess the drive and skills to help Belfast Live continue to grow.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry’s PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don’t delay in submitting your application.