Are you ready to lead and implement the strategy and vision for the Force Contact Department of West Midlands Police?
Do you have substantial experience of transforming and leading a significant customer service department in a large organisation?
Are you ready to join a team that is dedicated to building an environment that supports, challenges and enables our people to be the best they can be?
We are seeking TWO Senior Managers to lead our Force Contact Department, incorporating; call handling, Resource Allocation & Dispatch, Public Contact offices, our Crime Services Teams and acting as our Appropriate Authority.
This is an opportunity based in central Birmingham and offered on a permanent full time basis; flexible options considered. The post holder will be a Senior leader within West Midlands Police and required to provide overall responsibility for the management of the identified area(s) of business within Force Contact and associated accountability for performance and service delivery to the public.
This includes ensuring adherence to national standards, driving culture change, increasing efficiencies and improvement of service delivery on a range of operational and non-operational matters affecting the force.
West Midlands Police (WMP), serves almost 2.8 million people – making it the second largest police force in England. With a current radical overhaul of all aspects of business through WMP2020 – a modernisation plan that is changing the way we operate. With expertise, commitment and dedication, you’ll thrive in this senior role and help West Midlands Police to realise their ambitions.
Reporting to the Chief Superintendent / Superintendent of Force Contact, the Senior leader will be expected to strategically position and integrate the functions within Force Contact and be able to deliver long term business goals over a number of years with public service improvements at the heart of delivery. The successful candidate will need to ensure that the department is effectively aligned with the visions and values of the Force.
You will be educated to degree level. However, experience and level of expertise is going be assessed as part of the recruitment process. In this role you will have a high degree of independence, primarily based in central Birmingham at our West Midlands Police Lloyd House Headquarters. Some minimal travelling will be required to our other sites across the Force.
As a senior leader within Force Contact you will have a high degree of independence with demonstrable leadership qualities. You will have exceptional communication, negotiation and presentation skills as well as a comprehensive understanding of policing/ public sector within a customer service environment and the issues affecting them.
You’ll have a broad understanding and an awareness of policing practices and processes, coupled with the knowledge and skills to lead an effective customer service function.
• WMP is a large and diverse organisation where you can develop your skills, knowledge and career in an encouraging and flexible environment. We’re able to offer you a comprehensive range of rewards and benefits including:
• 28 days annual leave (plus bank holidays); increasing to 33 days after five years’ service
• access to a Corporate Health Cash Plan and wellbeing website
• an agile modern working environment in central Birmingham
• the opportunity to save on travel costs through a Corporate Travel Scheme
• the option to join a generous Local Government pension scheme
In return you can expect a rewarding career as a leader as part of an organisation that recognises the importance of work/life balance and that offers a range of attractive benefits and a friendly and supportive work environment.
This is a unique opportunity for a senior leader of the right calibre.
Diversity is fundamental to our success. To tackle today’s complex policing challenges, we need a workforce made up from all of communities that we police. Applications from across the community are therefore essential.
Please note that closing date is 27th January 2019 (midnight) with interviews to take place w/c 18th February 2019
If you would like to discuss this opportunity further, please contact Superintendent Jason Anderson, Deputy Head of Force Contact via his PA at – firstname.lastname@example.org
The full JD is attached along with our Force Leadership Promise and the Policing Competency Values Framework which will be used as the assessment criteria to assess candidates against.
Selection will be by way of paper sift, presentation and interview. Full details to be provided nearer the time to successful candidates invited to interview.
EXTERNAL CANDIDATES APPLYING – PLEASE CONTACT AZARA ZAMAN FOR THE DOCUMENTS YOU SHALL REQUIRE PRIOR TO COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION.
West Midlands Police are currently undertaking a long term review of staff pay and conditions. The grade, pay and other terms of employment are therefore subject to review and may change in the future.
• Senior Management experience supported with relevant managerial qualification (s) preferably to NVQ Level 6 Degree Level
• Proven experience of delivering change and managing transitional processes, structural and / or culture
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, evidencing an ability to negotiate and influence at all levels within the organisation
• Experience of working as part of and leading a team and can evidence the ability to motivate, develop and guide the performance of others, whilst holding them accountable in line with organisational policies and objectives
• Relevant experience in using I.T applications, including windows based applications
• Coaching and leadership skills
• Proven at leading people and delivering change
• Knowledge and understanding of Home Office Counting Rules, National Standards of Incident Recording, National Call Handling Standards and Force Contact Handling Standards
• Experience of utilising WMP Systems
• Knowledge of Force Contact Business and WMP Change programmes
• Experience of call centre / control room environments
• Have a knowledge of the impact of HR policies and procedures
• Previous experience of working in Emergency Services, ideally policing