The University of Sheffield is a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching. Sheffield has a global reputation for world-leading research that makes a difference. The University is tackling social, environmental and economic challenges through ambitious thinking, collaborative working and world-leading research. It has been awarded five Queen’s Anniversary Prizes, an award given to recognise outstanding contributions to the nation and it works with local partners to bring cultural vibrancy and a prosperous economy to the Sheffield City Region.
Jobs at The University of Sheffield
The University is an equal and diverse workplace. It is in Stonewall’s top 100 list of employers for workplace equality, and it proudly holds an Athena SWAN Institutional Silver Award. The Staff Wellbeing offer encourages and supports staff to maintain their own positive health and wellbeing through a range of accessible, inclusive and supportive services and activities. To find out about current vacancies please click here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/jobs
The University's commitment to progressing this area was formalised with the launch of the Race Equality Strategy and Action Plan in March 2019.The University works closely with the BAME Staff Network and the Race Equality Steering Group to ensure that race-related issues for staff and students are progressed.
5 aims of the Race Equality Strategy and Action Plan:
- Reduce the awarding gap between Black, Asian and Other Minority Ethnic (BAME) and White students to zero.
- Widen access to students from BAME backgrounds and support these students to succeed once at the University of Sheffield.
- Improve graduate outcomes and progression to postgraduate education for BAME students.
- Increase the diversity of the staff body and support the career progression of BAME staff.
- Create an inclusive campus culture that facilitates belonging and promotes respect for BAME students and staff, and the wider BAME community.
- The University has invited Advance HE onto campus to deliver eight full day Intro to Race Equality workshops.
- Introducing mandatory online ED&I training and are creating race equality specific online training for staff
- Updated the guidelines on how recruiters can use Positive Action around the University
- Set up a race equality steering group to oversee the work on the Race Equality Steering Group
- Beginning work on the Race Equality Charter
Our Wall of BAME
The University is striving to create a more diverse and inclusive University. The Wall of BAME showcases and celebrates the achievements of some of our current BAME staff, alumni and former colleagues. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/inclusion/race/wall-bame
Staff and Student Networks
There is a supportive BAME Staff Network that is open to all Black, Asian and Other Minority Ethnic (BAME) staff. The Staff Network was launched in 2018 to address the needs, priorities and concerns of both academic and professional members of staff at the University who self-identify as BAME. The Network meets at least once a semester; providing opportunities for all members to meet, talk informally and raise any issues. The BAME Staff Network works closely with other Staff Networks which not only helps create effective networks, but it can help create change in the University.https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/bame-network
There is a BME Student Network, who support the rights of BME students, helps eliminate racism and all forms of ignorance, discrimination and prejudice and addresses issues of equality and representation at the University and in the community.https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/bame-students/index